More views of Flossy the polymer clay fish:
A few photos of the process:
To keep Flossy from being too heavy, I formed the basic fish parts from Sculpey® UltraLight®. I made it in pieces so it would be easier to apply the veneer around the bottom fin areas, and with the tail on the body it was too big for my studio oven. AND I am too lazy to walk it downstairs to the kitchen :)!
I painted all the parts with artist grade acrylic paint. This color is Brass Pearl by Nova Color (my favorite brand of artist grade acrylic paint). However, Brass Pearl is translucent so it took a few coats. At this point I had no idea of how much of the fish base I would cover.
Well it turned out that I made WAY too much caning material of various sizes and patterns. So I combined some of them into a bigger cane for the body and others for the tail and fins. I applied the veneer in small sections between curing to protect the delicate pieces and maintain the shapes and movement in the piece. The above photo shows the making of the eyeballs.
Thank you for taking the time to visit and read about Flossy. I would love to hear your comments.