(click on images for a closer look)
Now on to build a tool holder with a little Japanese influence. I decided on a temple tower-like design, even though it would be an inefficient use of some of the space on the bottom. I cut a cardboard template; rolled out the sides on which I stamped a pattern. After curing, I antiqued them with black artists grade acrylic paint. (A real messy job!)
Next I constructed a support, in the shape I wanted, from heavy duty construction paper. Then I sealed the sides together with extruded lengths of a right-angle shape. I cured at this point so it would hold its shape for other work to come.
Next building the "bamboo" facade to cover the corners.
Well, I got so in the zone, I forgot to take any more photos! But I made the bottom from a thick and textured sheet of black clay, draped over a small square jewelry box lid to form the curve.
I wish I could say I did the Kanji calligraphy, and I have been practicing, but I am not very good at it yet. I was afraid that any small deviation of the characters could take the word in whole new (and possibly not desirable) direction. :) These are printed out from the web on photo paper, and coated with artists grade acrylic gel medium. They are mounted on black squares and trimmed with a black ribbon of extruded black clay. After curing, I glued them to the sides.
Pretty much the top trimming came about on its own. I didn't really have a plan until it started to happen.
Here it is, fitting in nicely with my other handmade tool containers. I decided to use it for all my small paintbrushes.
Thank you for stopping by! Sayonara!